Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What a long day

Yesterday was a very long day. We got to Mayo hospital at 6am. Terese got admitted and then by 8am, we had to say our good byes and they wheeled her off to surgery. Terese's mom, Josh, Caleb, Mark and Cami all came throughout the day for support. It was appreciated. The surgery was over at around 6:15pm and the Dr. came out and told us all about it. He said that Terese was doing well and is awake but will not remember anything. He told us that everything went well. The only complication was this one something that got kinked but they fixed it and it added about 40 minutes to the operation. Besides the time to fix it, there should be no other compilcations from that. 40 minutes is a long time for a 2 or 4 hour surgery but for a 10 hour surgery, it didn't seem that bad. I guess I should ask Terese huh??

I finally got to see her at 9:45pm. She will be in ICU for 2 days. When I came into the ICU room, all I could see is her feet. She had a large something on from her knees to her neck. She immediately said "Is that my man?". I knew she was awake then and I smiled. I then went to her side so I could see her face and gave her a little kiss. She could barly move her head. To be honest, it was hard to see her like this. I know the surgery was successful and for that, I am very thankful but I felt very bad for her. The room was wicked hot and she was wicked thirsty. She kept wanting some ice but they would not give it to her. They didn't want her to get sick.

I got back to my hotel at about 10:30 or so and my heart was heavy but I was tired. I just knew that she was in major pain and hot and thirsty. I also knew that they had to wake her up every 30 minutes to check her. I was not allowed to be in the ICU so I did call to see how she was doing at around 4am and her mom called at 5am. All the nurse said was that she was doing well but the first night is difficult. When I got to the room, somehow, she had a card on my pillow for me to read. Of course, it was very encouraging for me. She was thinking about how I would be doing at night. I don't deserve her but it is too late for her. She made her vows!! haha

They let me see her at 9am this morning. When I came in, she didn't have that that massive thing on her chest and looked GREAT. She said it was a good night. Of course a good night to her is different than to most people. She is very positive. If the table was turned, I would have said that the night was horrible but not Terese. She was talkative and really looked good. It really calmed my nerves to see her doing so well. I don't know how long she will be in the hospital but I think they will take her out of ICU tomorrow if all is good. Please continue to pray for her since it is not over yet.

Thanks for all your calls and prayers. They really mean a bunch to me and our family.
Bruce

1 comment:

  1. Bruce - Thanks so much for posting! Sari and I have been praying for you guys and we look forward to visiting when we are allowed. Love you guys! Brent and Sari

    ReplyDelete